Thursday, May 11, 2006

Reading Comprehension Test

To go along with my post on reading, here is an amusing tidbit from Hannah's school files for the semester:

Reading Comprehension Test

Traxoline

It is very important that you learn about traxoline. Traxoline is a new form of zionter. It is montilled in Ceristanna. The Ceristannians gristerlate large amounts of fevon and then bracter it to quasel traxoline. Traxoline may well be one of our most lukized snezlaus in the future because of our zionter lescelidge.

Questions:

1. What is traxoline?
2. Where is traxoline montilled?
3. How is traxoline quaselled?
4. Why is it important to know about traxoline?


Hannah's professor gave the test to show just how brainless reading comprehension tests often are nowadays. Actual comprehension is not required, just regurgitation. When I read the above reading comprehension test, I was transported back to the time I took the Board of Regent's reading comprehension test, a test required for all Georgia public college students. Yes, there really were many questions on the exam that were as easy as the ones above. I thought I was misreading the questions because they came directly from sentences in the text, with no actual comprehension required. Sad.

3 comments:

Mrs Blythe said...

Hi. In Britain there has been a series on television about A*GCSE candidates (GCSEs are the exams taken at age 15/16 in Britain, A* is the highest grade obtainable).

These 'clever' children, for the purpose of the television series, spent the summer holidays being taught in an old fashioned school. After the teaching they sat the old style O'Levels (the examination preceeding GCSEs). Most either failed or got a very low grade. They then showed the children receiving their real examination results for GCSE, they all received high grades A*'s A's and B's. How a child can obtain an A* at GCSE English Language, but fail an examination in the same subject at O'Level just shows how standards have fallen. As one of the children commented, "I like GCSEs because they help me pass my exams".

I was in the second year of running of the GCSE examinations (1989 or was it 1988?)and received an A in English Language. I now wonder what grade I would have received at O' Level. Hopefully standards hadn't fallen so far then. (Although as you know from my previous comment that I had no idea about grammar or sophiticated punctuation.) :o(

helen said...

Okay...wierd reading comp test! Do any of those words actually mean something?

Susan said...

Mrs. Blythe, it is amazing how the standards of education keep lowering and lowering (or being lowered, rather). Expectations for student performance keep regressing. It's really sad, because few students are going to rise above expectations, so we're just setting children up for low achievement. Did you read this post on expectations, that I linked in my Three R's post? I thought it was very good.

Of course all those words mean something, Helen! Traxoline, for example, is a new form of zionter. Ceristanna is the place where Traxoline is montilled. ;) j/k

It looks like they used a random letter generator, doesn't it?