Sunday, May 14, 2006

Happy Mother's Day!


This post is a joint effort by the two Garrison Sisters Dear :) to show appreciation for our wonderful Mother Dear, whom we love very much! Happy Mother's Day, Mother Dear!

A few reasons we especially love Mother Dear (not meant to be an all-encompassing list):

She birthed us.
She loves us and Brother Dear and Father Dear.
She loves God, and taught us about God.
She stayed home with us when we were little.
She homeschooled us.
She read to us a lot growing up.
She taught us to love math and to love learning.
She'd rather give than receive.
She's just as content (or more so) with a gift of flowers or a hug than with a diamond necklace.
She likes to spend time with us.
She taught us (and modeled) modesty and manners.
She is a really patient shopping companion (and a good advisor), especially when it comes to fabric quests.
She taught us French (Hannah's idea, of course).
She gets really excited about important things (like math) and littler things (like a solar eclipse or jellyfish at the Chattanooga Aquarium)
She's a good cook, and taught us to cook also.
She made sure we knew all sorts of other homemaking skills.
She's a really good listener (seriously!). She's especially good for sharing frustrations about college classes.
She endured many battles of WWIII over the years, as fought by the Garrison Sisters Dear, who have always been both best friends and worst enemies (we're trying to major on the former role now).

Of course a dedicatory post co-authored by Hannah would not be complete without one of her *ahem* inspiring poems:

An Ode to Mother Dear

Our Mother, dear Mother,
With hair of curly delight,
You are a shepherdess of the white sheep of the fields.
Your tender heart soars on the wind before your lambs, your children.
Their hearts follow yours, red and beating,
As they are bleating.

The grass green parts before you.
Your feet walk always with Reebok shoes as black as milk.
At night your lullaby reaches the ears of your lambs and comforts them.
Your song is a song of wonders of numbers, and the travels of x over the sine curve.
Into the void, you call out,
"Where is x? What is x?" and your children answer you.

Asymptotes, functions, and circles adorn your mind.
They float about you in the breeze through your fingers and hands.
At the end of the day, the sweet grass is there.


We love you, Mother Dear! :)

9 comments:

Ben Garrison said...

oh my

une_fille_d'Ève said...

My poem's not really that awe-inspiring, is it? I mean, I think it's pretty good if I do say so myself (poetry is one of my areas of expertise), but for being somewhat of a novice in the art of poetry, I wasn't expecting to get such awe and respect quite this early on. I guess this means I might be ready to take the initial steps to publishing my book of poetry now! Look for ordering information in the near future...

Jessie said...

Hannah, oh Hannah... You are too funny!
*snapping thumbs* *snapping thumbs*

You definitely should publish a book. But it needs to be cataloged in the 817's, not the 811's...
: )

Susan said...

Yay! I was right on my Dewey Decimal guess! :) And yes, of course I looked it up ;). You're too funny, Jessie!

Lydia said...

LOL!!! That's just too rich for words!
My favorite line was "Your feet walk always with Reebok shoes as black as milk." It wouldn't be funny if it wasn't so absurd (ehhh, no offense, Hannah). Oh, and my mom wears black Reeboks too! Maybe it's a "homeschool mom" thing.

I think I liked it because it brought word pictures to my mind. I could picture your dear mother as a young, shepherdess who herds her sweet little lambs in the rolling green pastures. Well, I could picture it until the last paragraph!

Thanks for the poem. I should send you some poetry written by a local gentleman named David Cloud. He was my creative writing instructor one year and has quite the imagination. I think anyone with the last name of "Cloud" would have to.

Keep up your poetry writing, Hannah.
You are quite an artist. :)

une_fille_d'Ève said...

I'm glad my poem was so enjoyable ;-).
Jessica, I figured that had something to do with the library, but beyond that I would have been at a loss were it not for Sister Dear!
Lydia, that's funny that you mention the shoes, because if you notice I said that they are 'as black as milk', which means that they're really not black at all. It was meant to kind of play with the mind a bit. :-) Did I succeed? Her shoes are actually white. We were kind of wondering about that part, wondering how many people would take that to mean that she wears black shoes and how many would take that to mean that she wears white shoes. Taking a poll on that would be interesting!
I like your theory about the home school mom thing. :-) Maybe it's just the Reebok shoes!

Adrian C. Keister said...

Say, uh, Hannah? Have you ever tried serious poetry? ;-)]

In Christ.

une_fille_d'Ève said...

In reply to Adrian...
Nope, I haven't done much 'serious poetry'. Do you have something against my lighthearted poems?! ;-) Only in the past few months actually have I put silly random thoughts down to resemble poetry, just to get laughs. I'm guessing you realize this, but just to clarify, my being 'the poet of the family' is a complete joke, and even my silly poetry is quite a new thing.
I've actually been quite curious what really constitutes poetry. The more I've researched it (which isn't all that much), the more it seems that a whole lot could be considered poetry. Of course there's rhyming poetry, which I can only do with silly poems; I never can make it come out right with serious poetry. But what about poetry that really has no meter or rhyme? What makes that poetry? Any insight?

Adrian C. Keister said...

Reply to Hannah.

I have no objection whatever to your funny poems. I enjoy them tremendously, in fact.

I am of the opinion that rhymed and metered is the way to go. That means I'm a hard-liner conservative (naturally, you're shocked). I am no fan of unrhymed and unmetered except biblical poetry which is neither. I think you lose a lot of the power of poetry, at least English poetry, when you get rid of all structure. The moderns have decided to focus on content to the exclusion of form. But as Marshall McLuhan told us, though I wouldn't quite go that far, "The medium is the message." Why not use the form to your advantage? I think it requires a little more skill. But those are my curmudgeonly opinions, sprouting from the miserable grumpy elitist. Have fun with them. ;-)]

In Christ.