Wednesday, July 05, 2006

A Visit from Emily

Last week my friend Emily visited from Alabama :). We've known each other since we were 10, so over half of our lives! Short summary of our visit together: Atlanta airport, North & South, Goodwill, Barnes and Noble, 12 thrift stores and antique shops, The Magic of Ordinary Days, Wives and Daughters, quilting and knitting, Georgia Aquarium, Atlanta airport. In short, we had great fun :).

Emily and I share a condition called bibliophilia, a malady that is becoming increasingly more rare in our day and age, due to breakthrough treatments such as the "whole language" approach. While Emily was here, we helped support ourselves in our condition (misery does love company) by going to "therapy sessions" together. To the naked eye, these therapy sessions may have seemed like mere trips to used book stores (and one new bookstore), but it was so much deeper than that ;). And of course we made sure to include an ice cream break in the middle of our long day of store hopping. *A rousing rendition of Tradition strikes up, with full orchestral accompaniment* My favorite find of the week was an antique copy of Stepping Heavenward. I actually was quite proud of my restraint, and on our 12-store binge, I averaged only one purchase per store. Now I'll try to be good and only occasionally visit used book stores until next summer, when we hope to continue our esteemed tradition.

Here is a picture of Emily and me from her visit:


I'll write a bit on my Indiana trip later. I'm off to get some other things done now, though.

8 comments:

Jessica said...

Only about a book per store...that's quite good! And an antique copy of Stepping Heavenward...what a find! I share your malady and my problem is that, though I don't get to an actual bookstore very much, it's so easy just to order a book (from my 250+ items Wishlist) from the Amazon Marketplace (the independent sellers) and justify it by saying that it was "such a good deal", etc. What an affliction!

Speaking of Amazon...I went to "The Magic of Ordinary Days" link and read about it...and it sounds like a beautiful movie. Did you like it? Do you recommend it?

Susan said...

Oh, yes, I did fail to mention that I bought 3 or 4 books at Barnes & Noble, but they were only about $5 a piece! My one-book-average related to the 12 thrift stores we visited in one day. Just thought I'd clarify with "full disclosure." :)

And yes, I would recommend The Magic of Ordinary Days! It's a really sweet film. I would not suggest the book, though. Way too much detail in a few places, just as a note of caution. The movie did a wonderful job of dealing with the subject matter (out-of-wedlock pregancy et al) in a proper way.

Jessica said...

Thanks for the "full disclosure"...but about $5 a book at B&N?! Wow...that's a really good deal!

Now I really want to see "The Magic...", but neither the library or video rental place near here carry it...sad, sad. And that's a switch that the movie is better than the book...usually it's the other way around. Thanks for the caution...

Susan said...

The $5 books I got at B&N are part of B&N's Collector's Library - small cloth-covered, hardbound copies of classic books. Almost all (and the ones I bought) of them are unabridged. The print is a little smaller than in a regular volume, but still very readable.

I would just like to take this time to rant over the fact that B&N released 5 out of 6 of Jane Austen's novels as part of their collector's library, but not Mansfield Park. (I checked online to make sure, Emily.) Now I have 5 of her novels in this certain edition, but not MP. Aaaahhh! An incomplete set. *gasp* I already own MP as part of my Jane-Austen-in-one-volume copy, but this incomplete individual set is going to keep me up late at nights. *sigh*

I completely agree that usually the book is better than the movie. When I don't think so, it's usually for this very reason - too much detail in a romance.

Jessica said...

Your rant on the incomplete set cracked me up...because that is SO me too! My kind of similar dilemma stemming from this idiosyncrasy...despite the fact that they are technically "kids' books", one of my favorite series is The Borrowers by Mary Norton. I had three of the five, but needed the first and fourth ones, and my sweet little sister bought me the ones I needed...but they had different covers than my first three! AHHHH! So now I have the complete set...it's rather "incomplete" because they don't have all the same type of covers. It still bothers me...I'll probably need counseling about it...let me know who you go to so I'll know that they have experience in this kind of thing... (Just kidding!)

Susan said...

I'm so glad someone else understands my "incomplete set" irritation. I spent months searching thrift stores for the correct copy of Anne of Green Gables to complete a matching set. I found at least one copy of AoGG in almost every store I visited, but always a different copy! I did finally find it, though :).

Ashley said...

I'm totally with you on that, Susan. My sister doesn't understand why I don't just buy the Chronicles of Narnia and rearrange the order of the books to the *correct* order. I told her it would bug me to no end to see the numbers on the side of the book out of order!! And of course I couldn't put it in the incorrect order to make the numbers match... so I am left without a set of Chronicles of Narnia. Ah, the bane of my perfectionism.

Susan said...

Long-live the true Narnians! We are among the few faithful: the remnant who holds to a post-wardrobe orderological view. If I find another correct set, you know I'll snatch it up for you :).