Sunday, July 09, 2006

God Moves in a Mysterious Way

In the past few months my church has sung William Cowper's hymn God Moves in a Mysterious Way a number of times during worship, and it has become more and more precious to me each time we sing it. It is such a beautiful hymn on the sovereignty of God. My church doesn't use the traditional melody for the hymn, but an alternative melody that, in my opinion, adds even more to the richness of the hymn. My favorite stanzas of the hymn are the fifth and sixth, particularly this line: the bud may have a bitter taste, but sweet will be the flower. What a beautiful promise for God's children! We are not promised a carefree life, but we are promised that all things work together for our good. That is the blessed hope we have!

On the subject of God's sovereignty, I encourage you to read Sherrin's post today on God's sovereignty in her life. Please take the time to read her testimony; you will be glad you did. Sherrin's trust in God's sovereignty and her thankfulness to Him for a life-changing event that would embitter many, is a beautiful lesson on trusting and thanking God in all circumstances.

God Moves in a Mysterious Way

God moves in a mysterious way
His wonders to perform;
He plants His footsteps in the sea
And rides upon the storm.

Deep in unfathomable mines
Of never failing skill
He treasures up His bright designs
And works His sovereign will.

Ye fearful saints, fresh courage take;
The clouds ye so much dread
Are big with mercy and shall break
In blessings on your head.

Judge not the Lord by feeble sense,
But trust Him for His grace;
Behind a frowning providence
He hides a smiling face.

His purposes will ripen fast,
Unfolding every hour;
The bud may have a bitter taste,
But sweet will be the flower.

Blind unbelief is sure to err
And scan His work in vain;
God is His own interpreter,
And He will make it plain.

7 comments:

Jessica said...

Wow...that IS a wonderful hymn...thank you for sharing it!

Anonymous said...

Diddo! I have just come to appriciate the beauty of hymns...I think I'll go look that one up in my hymnal!

Sherrin said...

I love that hymn too, Susan. It brings tears to my eyes at times. I must go and sing it again after I've finished on the computer! Thanks for the kind link and comments. I went on the computer this morning wondering what the response to my last post would be, and I'm grateful that there are several kind comments about it. I feel a bit exposed sharing what I did, especially when there is so much more that could be said! My post is long enough as it is, and took me over two hours to write.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say what a pity it is you have included your zodiac sign, etc in your profile. All that stuff is false and not of the Lord. You need to pray about it and get yourself clean from it.

Susan said...

Anonymous,
I am aware that my profile contains my zodiac sign, though I did not place it there. Blogger automatically includes my zodiac sign when I enter my birthdate, which I did so people would know how old I am. I also believe that astrology is false and not of the Lord, but I think the (semi-involuntary) display of my zodiac sign in my profile is a matter of personal conscience, not sin. However, so as not to offend you or others who consider this to be a larger issue, I have removed my birthdate from my profile, which automatically removes my zodiac sign as well.

Mrs Blythe said...

what a great hymn

michelle said...

The Lord providentially orchestrated my introduction to this poem/song the week after we miscarried our little girl (Kali Grace). 'Kali' means 'rosebud' and we refer to her as our little rosebud who has bloomed in heaven giving praise to His glorious grace. You may be interested in the following post from those times: http://vineandshoots.blogspot.com/2008/03/rosebud-reflections.html

God bless!