Friday, September 08, 2006

I'm Royalty

I was crowned princess this evening. Twice.

In fact I was crowned pretty, pretty princess :). Does anyone else remember that game from childhood? Hannah and I loved playing Pretty, Pretty Princess when we were little! I was babysitting this evening, and playing the game with my little charges brought back so many memories! For a skill-less game, it's fun to play. You acquire those extremely-tacky-and-cheap earrings, necklace, bracelet, ring, and crown, and you just feel like royalty :). Of course, be careful of the dreaded "black ring"! *insert soundtrack of the first few measures of Beethoven's Fifth here*

I am curious if everyone else played the game as a little girl. I think it uncovers a universal desire in every little (and big) girl - the desire to be a princess. Of course, as a Christian, I am royalty already. I'm not just the daughter of an earthly monarch. I am the daughter of The King. I am daughter of my Creator. I am heir not to an earthly domain, but to a heavenly one. Even without all the plastic jewelry, I am a princess!

7 comments:

Jessie said...

Yes!! I remember!!

Thanks for reminding me though, I had forgotten about it! The last toy/game I was sentimentalizing about was Skip-it. Did you ever have one of those?? I love it. I'm strongly considering digging through our storage building to find mine, or else going to the store to buy a new one (do they even still make them??)... *sigh* yes, I remember the good ol' days. I think I must be getting old. The early nineties are seeming very nostalgic lately...

Jessie said...

A quick search on ebay yielded an item listed as "Vintage Tiger Toys Skip It Counter Jump Rope".... with the old, old, old date of: 1988. If '88 is "vintage," boy, Susan, you and me and Hannah and the rest of us on here must be "antique"! Seen any good nursing home advertisements lately?? Oh wait, I don't believe in nursing homes... I forgot. In my old age.

Ashley said...

Hmm I've heard of "Pretty Pretty Princess" but I'm pretty sure I never played it or saw it being played.

Ah, vintage games. What fun. :-) We were big Lite-Brite fans.

zan said...

Well, me and my two sisters would play dress-up and use our imaginations with fantastic stories. I ALWAYS had to be the bad lady who captures the princess and ties her up until the prince would rescue her. Having no brothers, the prince would be imaginary. I really got tired of being the bad lady. My sister would make me stuff my shirt with stuffed animals so it would look like I had big bosoms because bad ladys were always well endowed. My older sister was the boss, so I rarely got to be the princess. I did get pretty good at tying people up, though. ; )Once in awhile I could play the little sister of the main princess of our silly story. However, the little sister rarely gets the prince. Oh, well. The punishment of being a little sister. (I'm sure Hannah would sympathize with me.)

(I was the middle sister. My little sister rarely played princess with us. She was a little too young and too much of a tom-boy.)

Susan said...

I remember Skip-It! Hannah had one of those. Even my ultra-clumsy self managed to get the hang of it after a while. 1988 is vintage???? I was 4. It can't be vintage. *off to peer at self in mirror, examining for wrinkles* ;)

I remember Lite-Brite, Ashley. That was so much fun to play with.

Zan, I didn't have to play the bad lady, but I always had to play the guy! Yep, that's right, Susan, "Miss Feminine," was usually the male lead. Here for example, I am the "Dude" in a modernized version of Cinderella. And I was always my best friend's fiance when we played with her and her sisters. *sigh* It comes of being the tallest (and usually the oldest) in most of my circles of friends.

zan said...

Don't take this the wrong way, Susan, but you make a very good Dude. : ) I also had to play the guy. I remember when my sister would sing duets like, "16 Going on 17," from "The Sound of Music," I would have to sing the boys' part. I really got tired of it.

We did have fun, though, just being silly girls. : )

Susan said...

Zan, I laughed at your comment that I make a "very good Dude." Haha. I would like to clarify that the hair in the picture was a wig! :).