Friday, September 22, 2006

Autumn

Tomorrow is the first day of autumn here in the northern hemisphere, though the signs have been in the air for a little bit already.

Autumn is my favorite season of the year. I enjoy each change of the seasons, but nothing else can compare with the change from summer to fall each year, especially in Atlanta where the summer is unbearably humid. I hide indoors every summer, to save my ghostly pale complexion and to escape the great sauna-that-is-the-outside. With each autumn, though, my thoughts return to the outdoors.

This past week we've been feeling the change in weather. Wednesday, during my lunch break from teaching, I stepped outside for a moment and decided I couldn't possibly spend the next half-hour indoors eating when the outside was calling to me! So instead I ate outside on the steps, enjoying my lunch surrounded by a blue sky and a light breeze :).

What is it about autumn that makes me hopelessly nostalgic? I want to reach for one of my old favorite books and curl up in a tree and just read all afternoon. Of course, I haven't climbed a tree in years (I used to be quite a monkey!), but the urge is still there. And if I was to pick a book to read for nostalgia, it would definitely be an L.M. Montgomery book! I picture my dear book friends Anne, Pat, and the Story Girl living perpetually in autumn. I'm already up to here *holds hand high above head* in books, though, so I'm not sure that urge will be acted upon in the near future. Instead I'll play Anne's Theme on the piano, which will satisfy some of my cravings :).

When I think of autumn I think of cardigan sweaters, a hot cup of tea (served in a pretty teacup, of course), homemade quilts, dry crunching leaves beneath my feet, long walks in the woods, stew simmering on the stove, long tiered skirts, long-sleeved checked blouses, bluegrass music, the briskness of the crisp fall air, and most of all the pallet of autumn colors that is displayed on all the hardwood trees for a few brief weeks, before the colors fade and the leaves drop to the ground to carpet the earth.

What do you like most about autumn?

6 comments:

Ashley said...

Mmm... I love autumn! Just a few highlights for me:
- Being able to sit on my porch with the kitties and not be cold or hot
- The brilliant colors! of the leaves changing, and just fall colors in general
- Fall decorations: leaves, pumpkins, scarecrows, etc.
- The approaching holiday season!
- Getting out a new wardrobe of my favorite cozy sweaters and jeans
- Hot apple cider, grilled cheese sandwiches, soup, and all those warm comfort foods that aren't as appealing in the summer :-)

Susan said...

Ooh, the approaching holiday season is a good one, Ashley! I love advent, especially advent music. We're going to start practicing parts for Christmas carols soon :). Yay, I'm excited! I only know the alto to Joy to the World and Silent Night, but I'm hoping to master most of my favorites for this year :).

Becky Miller said...

EVERYTHING! I just love autumn. I only wish the season were longer. I really wanted a fall wedding, but we had to plan a June wedding because of Matthew's school schedule...so someday when we do a vow renewal ceremony, it will be outdoors in the fall! And I'm so excited that baby Katherine gets to have an October birthday.

Susan said...

Becky,

I have a good friend that just got married in March, and she always wanted a fall wedding also, but she decided she didn't want to wait that long! I can't believe you're due next month! It's really coming up :).

helen said...

Cardigan sweaters! I love them too! and every tells me I'm old-fasioned for calling them such. I don't know what else you'd call them???

Hot milk, colored leaves, cool air....

Susan said...

Funny, but I don't know what else I would call cardigan sweaters. I asked my mom, and she suggested perhaps "button-down" sweaters, but how unimaginative, we think!