Sunday, August 13, 2006

What Fun!

As Jessie implied in a comment last week, we got to meet yesterday!

Jessie first found my blog last fall while searching for other bloggers that had listed common interests. Like her, I had listed "Psalms" under favorite music, so she clicked on my blog and left a comment :). After a few comments back and forth on each other's blogs I decided it would be more efficient to just e-mail her, only to check new comments to my blog and discover that she was thinking the same thing! We have since been e-mailing back and forth quite a bit, as well as visiting each other's blogs. I have found such a kindred spirit in Jessie, and she has been such an encouragement to me this past year. We have swapped prayer requests often and encouraged one another.

I was so excited a few weeks ago when Jessie told me that her family was going to be in my area for a wedding. I had a rather goofy grin on my face when I asked my mom if we were doing anything on Saturday, August 12th :). We didn't have long together because Jessie and her family weren't in town long, but we met for an early supper at Ruby Tuesday's.

I had never met an "online friend" in person before, so it was a new experience for me. Sherrin recently noted how odd it is that you can get to know someone so well online - her interests and pursuits, her friends and family, her likes and dislikes - but not know how to pronounce her name or recognize the sound of her voice. It was nice to finally put a voice with Jessie, and she actually sounded like I imagined :). Her parents and siblings were sweet, and her sister Hannah recited to me my now-close-to-world-famous Yellow Poem :-D. It's wise to encourage an appreciation of poetry from a young age ;). I also got to meet one of my favorite literary characters. . . or at least a close substitute.

The one downside was that we only had about an hour :(, but I was thankful for that! Hopefully next time (because I hope there will be a next time!) we'll have longer. It is a shame we don't live closer. . .

Before we parted Jessie gave me a beautiful apron she sewed out of some fun fabric with gingerbread men and rolling pins.


Despite my good intentions to do so, I forgot to bring a camera yesterday, so you'll have to rely on Jessie for pictorial evidence of our meeting :).

And if any of my other blog friends are ever in Metro Atlanta, let me know!

10 comments:

Ashley said...

Hooray! That sounds like fun!

I'll be in Metro Atlanta this week. And next week. And the week after that. We should get together; I'd love to meet you. ;-)

Susan said...

We should meet, Ashley ;).

We really do need to get together sometime soon. . .

Deb said...

Susan, glad you had a fun time! I had tons of fun, too, getting to meet online blogging acquaintances at the history conference. So I can identify.

And the apron is really pretty - how special.

Anna Naomi said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful time! It is amazing how one can get so close through email... I found my "twin" in Nebraska through blogging a while ago, and it's amazing how similar we are - we were even born on the same day! Some day we hope to meet...

zan said...

I checked out Jessie's blog. She is very cool. I know this because she listed "Jane Eyre" as one of her favorite books...me too!

I don't think I see myself in Atlanta anytime soon, but if you are ever in New England, let me know.

Amy said...

I have an apron that looks almost identical to that design. My mother bought it from someone online. It's my most favourite apron :)

Jessie said...

Hello all : )
Yep, we met and had a wonderful time! We can't wait to get together again.

Zan, thanks for checking out my blog! Jane Eyre is one of my all-time favorite classic novels!

And Amy, I am that someone your mother bought those aprons from ; ) That explains the similarities!

And, most importantly, the official report is:
Susan does not have either cataracts or gapped teeth : )

Mrs.B. said...

Oh how fun! (o:

Amy said...

I thought that apron looked awfully familiar. You do a great job Jessica. I *LOVE* my apron!

Jessie said...

That makes me happy, Amy! I'm so glad you enjoy your apron : )