Friday, August 11, 2006

Only One?

Asking me to list one book for any category is just plain mean. Picking my favorite book is like picking my favorite star in the sky. I'll try, though. John tagged me for this meme, and Jessica also did it on her blog. I'm restricting my answers to exclude the Bible, for the sake of variety.

1. One book that changed your life: Stepping Heavenward by Elizabeth Prentiss.

2. One book that you've read more than once: Anne of the Island by Lucy Maud Montgomery.

3. One book you'd want on a desert island: The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

4. One book that made you laugh: The Importance of Being Ernest by Oscar Wilde

5. One book that made you cry: The Suitcases by Ann Hall Whitt

6. One book that you wish had been written: The Memoirs of Mary, Mother of Jesus

7. One book that you wish had never been written: On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life by Charles Darwin

8. One book you're currently reading: Statistics: Picturing the World by Ron Larson and Betsy Farber. . . okay, okay, is it obvious I'm planning for my classes that start next week? ;-)

9. One book you've been meaning to read: Institutes of the Christian Religion by John Calvin

10. Now tag four people: Jessie, Lydia, Ashley, and Becky. . . and anyone else who would like to post on their blog or share in the comments section and hasn't already been tagged. I didn't choose anyone who doesn't have a blog, but I'd like to hear from some of my non-blogging blog friends or my lurkers :).

7 comments:

Sherrin said...

I just did this too! I did it after I saw yours, so I decided not to use Origin of the Species in the same category you did. I had been tossing up between it and the Koran.

Eva said...

I love your "Memoirs of Mary, Mother of Jesus" book idea! But, I guess we'll just have to wait for heaven for her to tell us everything...:-)

une_fille_d'Ève said...

Even though I wasn't specifically tagged, this looked like too much fun, so I'm filling it out :-)...

1. One book that changed your life: Tortured for Christ by Richard Wurmbrand.

2. One book that you've read more than once: Revolution in World Missions by K.P. Yohannan.

3. One book you'd want on a desert island: I'm with Ashley - 'how-to' books would be nice! What a learning experience that could be. :-)

4. One book that made you laugh: Le Petit Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. I actually haven't read all of it yet, but I read the first part of it and was quite tickled!

5. One book that made you cry: The Suitcases by Ann Hall Whitt

6. One book that you wish had been written: Borrowing an answer from Ashley yet again! I can't believe C.S. Lewis left out so much in the Golden Age of Narnia! It's kind of like how sad it is that we know so little of what went on in Jesus' childhood. To quote Mark Lowry, "Good night, God's on the earth! Isn't someone keeping a diary?!"

7. One book that you wish had never been written: On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life by Charles Darwin

8. One book you're currently reading: Various spanish and french books. :-D

9. One book you've been meaning to read: More sermons by Richard Wurmbrand 'written' while he was in solitary confinement. He actually composed them in his head during his years in solitary and remembered them all perfectly when he was ransomed out and put them in several books.

Becky Miller said...

1. One book that changed your life: "Created to Be His Helpmeet" by Debi Pearl

2. One book that you've read more than once: ALL of the Anne books! (I know, breaking the rule...but since they're a series, couldn't they sort of be considered one work?) Okay, wait, I don't know if I read Rilla and Rainbow Whatever more than once...

3. One book you'd want on a desert island: The Lord of the Rings...if I were going to be there a long time, I'd want a looooong book to read.

4. One book that made you laugh: The "Great Brain" books

5. One book that made you cry: Appendix A of The Lord of the Rings

6. One book that you wish had been written: The Importance of Children to the Church by Voddie Baucham (his sermon called "Closing the Generation Gap" on the subject of the importance of Christians having many children and actively discipling them is life-changing...I wish he would write a whole book on the subject)

7. One book that you wish had never been written: The Feminine Mystique by Betty Frieden

8. One book you're currently reading: No Compromise: The Life Story of Keith Green (amazing)

9. One book you've been meaning to read: A Full Quiver by the Hesses

Susan said...

Oh, Sister Dear, I cannot believe that you didn't pick My Side of the Mountain for #3!

Becky, you need to read Rilla of Ingleside again if you've only read it once. It possibly ties with #1 and #3 for my favorite of the Anne books. It is so poignant and full of life lessons.

une_fille_d'Ève said...

Sister Dear,
Why would I need My Side of the Mountain on a desert island? It's a nice idea, and it would probably be somewhat helpful, but mountains seem a bit different than desert islands. MAYBE if I did ever get stuck on a desert island, after I got off, I could write my own book entitled My Side of the Desert Island! Sounds like a plan! Now I just need to find an island to get stuck on.

Susan said...

My Side of the Mountain still has plenty of great survival tips and would be quite helpful on a desert island. It would provide usefulness and entertainment. . . though it wouldn't last nearly as long as my pick ;).