Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Seasoning Mixes

One thing I've been trying to slowly do over the past few years is find replacements for those expensive seasoning packets that are mostly filler ingredients (not just spices). Here are recipes for fajitas and tacos. They are really good! I don't know where I originally got these recipes (I print up recipes in Microsoft Word and often don't try them right away), but they were probably from the internet.

~~~~~~

Fajita Seasoning

6 parts chili powder
3 parts ground cumin
1 part oregano
1 part garlic powder

Stir well and store in air tight container. Use 3-4 T in place of a packet of seasoning.

We usually take one package (3 pieces) of boneless, skinless chicken breasts and chop and cook the chicken. Then we add 1-2 chopped onions, 1-2 chopped green peppers, and add 4 T of seasoning that has been mixed with water to make a paste. Then we cook it all until the vegetables are soft.

~~~~~~

Taco Seasoning (I just tried this today for the first time, and it was good!)

6 tsp chili powder
5 tsp paprika
4 1/2 tsp ground cumin
3 tsp onion powder (I added some fresh chopped onion to the meat instead)
2 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cayenne (red) pepper
1/4 tsp salt

Stir together (doubling, tripling, etc.) and store in an airtight container. Use 2-3 tablespoons in place of store mix.

To 1 lb ground beef, I would add 2 T of the mix, more if you like spicy. Adding fresh, frozen, or canned chopped tomatoes is a nice addition. Four romas per 1 lb meat is a good amount. You can also cook 1/4 cup of dry rice in advance and add it to the meat to stretch the recipe.

7 comments:

Jessica said...

Oh, how wonderful! *copy/pastes them to my ongoing recipe file on the computer* Thank you so much for sharing these...I've been looking for a good home-made taco seasoning since I don't like using the mixes...I can't wait to try them! Thanks again!

Mrs.B. said...

Thank you Susan! This was very helpful. (o:

zan said...

I will definately try these. However, I better go and buy some chili pepper first. : )

Miss Elisabeth said...

Oh, thank you! I'll have to show the taco seasoning one to my mom....as my dad's on a low salt diet, every make-your-own-mix-at-home recipe is vaulable!

Jessie said...

I just used a taco seasoning recipes Tuesday! But I didn't care for it as much as the other recipe I have (which I have yet to compare with yours). The first one I tried had a wonderful flavor, but it was too spicy for my siblings. Maybe I could've just used less in all, or at least less cayenne. The one I did Tuesday was a little too bland for me; something I like was missing (besides spice!). Thanks for sharing your recipe- I'll have to try it too!

PS- Do you know if there is a difference between "ground red pepper" and cayenne pepper? I have yet to look it up for sure.

PPS- You need to be sure you have good chili powder before you try to use it in any recipe. Once I bought some (it was all they had in stock) that had cocoa powder in it. Very strange. It had more of an earthy scent than the spicy scent I like to use.

Susan said...

Mother Dear actually looked up red/cayenne pepper last week because of a new recipe we were trying, and she found that there was no difference, according to some website she read. But that doesn't mean that's true. Perhaps a true culinary artist would insist there is a difference, but I would say it's safe to use them interchangeably. I didn't know that about chili powder! I'll have to look at that - thanks :).

Ashley said...

Thanks for the recipes! I have my own fajita recipe which I have posted on my blog before... it uses a lot more spices, but it sure is good!

Paul and I have been looking for a good taco seasoning mix so I'm excited to try this one.