Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Lydia's Wedding Quilt

I decided to go ahead and post a picture of Lydia's quilt before leaving for the wedding. I think Lydia's a tad busy to be surfing blogs right now, and blogging is not really "her thing" anyway. . . Hannah and I are planning to leave for Kentucky on Thursday morning, Parents Dear to follow on Friday. We'll probably be back late Saturday, possibly not until Sunday afternoon.

Here 'tis:


The pattern uses the Oh, Susanna block. I found the pattern online for free on this site. It was one of the easiest patterns I've done, and I love the way it looks. It was also quick, which was good, considering I had to finish it in 2 1/2 months :). Now, I realize that this quilt doesn't have an exciting border like my parents' anniversary quilt, which featured golden rectangles, but I've come to terms with this fact ;).

Aren't the colors of the quilt pretty? Lydia picked them out and sent me the names and brand for paint chips that matched. Then I just picked up the paint chips at a local store and took them with me fabric shopping. I actually only had to buy material for the three greens. I didn't have three greens that went well together, but I had pinks and blues in abundance. I have an extensive fabric collection, thanks to years of garage sales and clearance shopping.

I collect two things - fabric and books - and it's hard to resist either at a good price :). While at Goodwill on Saturday I found an 87-year-old exposition of the book of Acts, written by a professor of practical theology at Princeton Theological Seminary. Price? - two dollars :-D. You've probably heard the old adage, the best antiques are old friends? I would add that the next best antiques are old books :).

3 comments:

Mrs.B. said...

Very pretty! What a nice friend you are, Susan, to spend the time making such a lovely gift!

Mrs.B. said...

Hi Susan, I know you're away at the wedding but you asked me to let you know if I start a blog and I did! Here's the address:
http://be-not-conformed.blogspot.com/

I put you in my links and hope you'll do the same for me. Thanks and come check it out!

Frederique said...

Hi Susan,
I hope your friend enjoy a lot your gift, it's really beautiful. Congratulation to have finished it before the 2 months !