Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Happy Pi Day!

. . . and no, I'm not making this holiday up :). Do a google search if you don't believe me.


The above picture is a "pi plate", in case it is not evident from the photograph. One of my mom's sisters is great at finding unique gifts :). She found this pi plate for us from a catalog and ordered it for a belated Christmas gift (we'll pick it up this summer). Is that neat or what?

Does anyone know why March 14th was chosen as Pi Day? :-D Think about it. . .

I'll give you a hint. The proper time to celebrate Pi Day is at 1:59 and 26 seconds, actually 27 seconds if we're rounding to the nearest second ;).

In honor of Pi Day, we made Apple Pi and Chocolate Pi :). Mother Dear and I are bringing pi to share with our Bible study this morning, and for lunch my family will enjoy Apple Pi Turnovers. Father Dear has the afternoon off, so he gets to join us :).

Apple Pi. . .








Chocolate Pi. . .




Mmmm! Apples, chocolate, and mathematics. What a great combination :).

Happy Pi Day, everyone!

10 comments:

twentysixcats said...

Mmm pie...

You know, if you were in Latin America, Pi Day would be on April 31st. Since that doesn't exist, there is no pi day in Latin America!

I think you're weird. ;-)

zan said...

Pi day? That is really sad.

une_fille_d'Ève said...

Pi Day is not really sad!!! It's happy, especially the part when you eat 'pi'! :-)
What is really sad is NOT having Pi Day, like in Latin America, as Ashley pointed out. What do they do?! Oh the horror of it all! Those poor people...

--Let this proclamation be heard--
"People of Latin America, do not dismay! We will gladly share our Pi Day with you. Join in the celebration! Let your weeping and wailing cease! Open up your eyes and see the bright tomorrow that is before you. Pi Day will be there if you but embrace our way of expressing dates."

And all Latin America rejoices...

Susan said...

Um, dearie. I hate to break it to you, but tomorrow is not Pi Day. Perhaps you meant a bright today ;), or a bright next March 14th. How can tomorrow be bright, since it is not Pi Day? In fact, it's the Ides of March, which isn't exactly a cheery day. . .

une_fille_d'Ève said...

Sister Dear, I meant 'bright future' by saying 'bright tomorrow'. In other words, they can enjoy the future knowing that Pi Day will be there once a year for them to enjoy!!

And... um... that was pretty much all meant in jest for those of you who thought I was going a little bonkers... although I am probably going a little bonkers, I won't deny... that probably from being confined in the same house with three crazy math teachers ;-)

Susan said...

I thought I'd set the record straight for interested parties, and note that it was Sister Dear who had us pause for a moment of reflection during "Pi Minute" yesterday. She's just trying to hide her math-geekish tendencies behind those two humanities majors. . . and those two humanities minors.

Samara said...

Fascinating- I've never known another family that celebrated Pi Day! It's also my mom's birthday, and she likes it so much that she even has a license plate on her car that says Pi Day!

Today, however, is my dad's favorite "ominous" day- Ides of March... :)

Susan said...

Wow, someone else who appreciates Pi Day! I like the license plate idea :).

Laura Ashley said...

saw this and thought you would like it:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060316/ap_on_sc/pi_prodigy

Susan said...

Thanks for the link, Ash. What a fun article!