Wednesday, February 15, 2006

A Light-Hearted Confession

Years ago girls looked forward to getting their first pairs of high-heeled shoes when they turned 16 or 18. It was a "rite of passage" to womanhood, a much-anticipated event. As the years have passed, our girls have been pulled from girlhood to womanhood much more rapidly than before. We now have 8-year-olds dressing like teenie-boppers and 6-year-olds dressing like Brittney Spears. A girl's first pair of high-heeled shoes isn't as big a deal now. 14-year-olds started wearing high-heels, then 12-year-olds, now 8-year-olds. (This post has nothing to do with whether or not this is a problem.) The point is that all women (and girls) want high-heeled shoes, it seems.

Except me.

You see, I've always been tall for my age - which has its definite advantages, I might add! I'm not complaining about my height; in fact, I quite like it. I was thrilled when I passed my mom up in height - somersaults, fireworks, block party :).

The point being, I'm already tall enough. I stopped growing when I was about 15 after topping 5'9". I don't need extra height. I already feel like I dwarf other people; I'm taller than my mother, my sister, my grandmothers, my aunts, my cousins, and all my (female) friends. So when I buy shoes for my extra-large feet, I avoid heels like the plague.

Let's face it. Five feet and nine+ inches of towering klutz is just not a good mix with heels. I'm not as klutzy as I once was, but I'm no graceful ballerina, either. With heels, I would just get taller and clumsier. So I've resisted heels at all costs. I might add that it is exceptionally hard to find size 10 1/2 wide shoes that do not have heels. I hate shopping for shoes, but I digress. . .

Now for the confession: I just bought my first pair of high-heels.

I know, I know, I finally caved in and succumbed to peer pressure. Sort of. Well, not really.

Actually they're for my friend's wedding. Being a bridesmaid comes with certain responsibilities; one of them is evidently to wear high-heels. I write this good-naturedly :). Lydia is so wonderful not to require really tall high-heels; these ones are only about 1.5 or 2 inches and they are wider heels as opposed to "toothpick heels." All in all, not that bad; I just love to dramatize. . .

So today, for the sake of a long-time friendship, I participated in one "rite of passage" to womanhood that I have long been resisting. I bought high-heels. *sigh* It had to happen one day, I suppose.

I have already made a disclaimer to Lydia that if her maid-of-honor trips and falls flat on her face walking down the aisle, she has been forewarned :). Pray for me on March 18. All my attention is going to be on making it down that aisle and back without stumbling. And Lydia thinks she'll be nervous that day. Ha!

Meanwhile, I'm going to be doing a lot of practice around the house :). I've already been tottering around and I feel like Treebeard: tall and bumbling. I just need a few hobbits to sit on my shoulders. Volunteers, anyone?

16 comments:

une_fille_d'Ève said...

I just reserve the right to burst out laughing if you trip and fall while walking down the aisle.
:-D
hehehe...
that would be my kind of a fun and memorable wedding
if I ever do get married (ha!) and you're my maid (or maitron) of honor, I'm going to require you to wear 4 inch spiked heels so you'll fall and add some humor to the wedding
:-D



okay, maybe not........

Mrs.B. said...

I'm 5'9" too! I wear a size 10w shoe (the sad part is as you get older your feet will get bigger too....I used to wear a 9). With the internet there are PLENTY of places to find shoes for large and wide feet. Plus size catalogs are a good place to find them.

I don't like to wear heals either because they hurt my back. They've come a long way now with the prettiness of flat shoes.

Susan said...

Sister Dear,

You are just too cruel! You better not laugh :-P.

Considering you have declared that you will never marry, I'm not overly concerned about having to wear 4 inch spiked heels. . .

Mrs. B,

Ah, a fellow 10w person, often 10 1/2 for me, but it varies. Slightly disconcerting when I visit a shoe store and all my size shoes are marked with a special green sticker that says "large size" :).

Yes, I'm afraid my feet will only get bigger. They usually increase with pregnancies as well as age. My parents should have just bound my feet when I was young ;).

Ashley said...

Aww poor Susan! I don't like wearing heels either, but that's for other reasons. I'm nice and short at 5'6". :-) You better practice walking on them!! It's hard to get used to heels, I think, especially if you're walking slow and methodical with everyone looking at you. Tell you what, next time I come over I'll bring *my* heels for the wedding I'm in this June and we can practice together. Hehe we better kick Hannah out though because we will probably look silly. :-)

une_fille_d'Ève said...

Hey! Are you trying to deprive a poor stressed-out college kid of a little humor to lighten up her life? How cruel. :-P

Anonymous said...

does your friend, the future bride, have a blog of her own?

Susan said...

Ashley,
Sounds like a plan. I need all the tips I can get. I'll try to bring my heels over on Sunday. We'll lock Hannah in your closet with your cats :).

Anonymous,
Nope, she doesn't.

Ashley said...

Awesome. The cats will love being locked in the closet with Hannah. I'm sure they will provide humor for her. :-) They are certainly sources of endless entertainment for me! Hehe poor Hannah, I think you need to reevaluate what you find humorous. ;-)

Susan said...

Sister Dear,

It just occurred to me that I have ammo with which to retaliate :-D. Amazing I didn't think of this before.

See, you may threaten that I will have to wear 4-inch spike heels at your wedding, but the chances are slim that this will actually happen since you've long declared you'll never marry.

However, I'm thinking the chances of my marrying are higher (though definitely not certain) since I've always wanted to get married. Since I've always told you you'll be my maid of honor, I may tack on certain requirements to go with the role. . . *evil grin*

I'm thinking 5-inch heels at the very least along with puffed sleeves and a huge collar. What do you think?

une_fille_d'Ève said...

Well, fine, let's just make it a circus parade! I'll invite a few clowns to precede my entrance. They'll be dressed in typical attire, of course, and juggling and handing out ballons. Then we'll have a coffin come down the aisle with midgets bursting out, tooting on horns that will announce my entrance. Then I will come down in my heels (let's just make them stilts!) and makeup and puffed sleeved, frilled dress with a big collar, and throwing confetti and falling every second step.
Does that sound good? I could really make it a memorable wedding!

Or maybe I'll just hide away in my tree and congratulate you afterward. Be sure to send some cake. I've heard cakes are hard to come by while living in trees.

Susan said...

I reserve the right to decide the details for the rest of my wedding. . . As you know, I don't plan on overemphasizing tiny details of my (hypothetical) wedding, but I'm not sure I like all of your suggestions. I'll have to consult with my (nonexistent) fiance. . .

Oh, I thought of two more additions to your outfit! Shoulder pads are a must - thank you to Mother Dear for that suggestion. Of course, we also couldn't do without a pompadour hairstyle for you, Dear, just like the one Anne wears when she and Gilbert argue about Averil's Atonement. You'll look ravishing :).

une_fille_d'Ève said...

Hmmm.... as I was thinking up a response to your last comment, it just struck me a bit queer. Why are we having a conversation over blogger when we could just raise our voices a bit and end it quickly without filling your blog with our bantering and putting some of your poor readers through reading it? That's even worse than when we would IM Ben to tell him to come up for supper! That's the 21st century for ya.
Ah well... it's just so fun. :-)

Adrian C. Keister said...

I was on the point of asking whether you two were in the same room blog-arguing with each other. Apparently... GUILTY! Sheesh.

My two bits: high heels look silly.

In Christ.

Susan said...

Just thought I'd clear up that technically we were not in the same room. I was in the kitched and Sister Dear was in the computer/piano room. Now it may be that both rooms are closely connected with open space between them, but they were still separate rooms! And you accused us of being in the same room. Sheesh.

Adrian C. Keister said...

O, that makes it all better. "Hey, Hannah, could you please respond to my blog-argument? Thanks!" See my other comments for ways of arguing. (That should have a footnote to be properly scholarly.)

In Christ.

helen said...

I hate high-heeled shoes! You have a funny way of putting it all. :-D