Thursday, October 27, 2005

Sibling Rivalry

This morning we found an AIM from my brother on the computer, simply saying, "My number wins." Mystery solved when I checked my e-mail and found a comment notification for my blog.

Ben claims that 8128 tops 144. Wow, what an ambitious claim. To see his reasons, refer to my original post on 144 and the ensuing comments. I good-naturedly responded with a concession, but my sister refuses to concede; moreover she is now miffed at me because I am not "loyally standing by 144". I tried to explain to her the difference between admitting a win and continuing loyalty, but she is still disappointed in me.

Now granted, I still consider my favorite rational number to be 144, but I must admit to Ben that 8128 is quite possibly cooler, even if it is not the 12th Fibonacci number. I hope Hannah will someday forgive me. . .

My family is fun :-). Growing up, like most children we had bedtime stories. But we also had bedtime math problems - "Hannah, if you have 10 bunnies and you give me 3, how many bunnies will you have left?" Then there was the dark and stormy night with no electricity, when the 5 of us sat in all possible 120 permutations on our living room couch. Ah, the good old days :).

I don't know why my friend Ashley recently referred to us as those weird math people.

4 comments:

Ben Garrison said...

I still remember dad showing me how to estimate the log base 10 of large numbers...when I was like 9...
I didn't even know what it was, but I could estimate it.

Susan said...

Heh, I thought you were 7 at the time, but what's a few years when you're that young. . .

Ashley said...

Let's see... we played Rummikub a lot. That's math, right?

Adrian C. Keister said...

Sibling rivalry, eh? In my family, that term was much too mild to describe what went on, so we graduated to "sibling squashery". Ah, the joys of competition. Even my sister Alynn had great fun with all that stuff. And as for my twin brother Lane and me... well.


In Christ.