I don't mean to make two posts in a row geeky, but I was so inspired tonight to write about a very cool (er, square) number.
144 is my favorite rational number. BTW, phi is my favorite irrational number for anyone dying of curiosity. But back to 144.
Why do I think 144 is such a neat number? Well. . .
(1) 144 is a perfect square - 12x12, a dozen dozens, a gross
(2) The digits of 144 are 1 and 4, also both perfect squares
(3) Add the digits of 144 - 1 + 4 + 4 = 9 - also a perfect square
(4) Multiply the digits of 144 - 1x4x4 = 16 - also a perfect square
(5) Flip around 144 to get 441, also a perfect square - 21x21 = 441
(6) 4 and 36 are both perfect squares and 4x36 = 144
(7) 9 and 16 are both perfect squares and 9x16 = 144
There you have it! Isn't 144 a very cool (er, square) number?
Yes, I admit that I am a math geek. Note I said "math geek", not "math nerd", or "math dork." The latter two do not make sense. A pity the terms nerd, geek, and dork are so often misused. . .
I have to blame my obsession with 144 on my dear sister Hannah. She has explained the intricacies of that fine number to untold numbers of poor captive victims. Few of her friends have not had to sit through a "144 talk." :) I love my sister.