Wednesday, October 05, 2005

How Sweet and Awful is the Place

How sweet and awful is the place
With Christ within the doors,
While everlasting love displays
The choicest of her stores.

Adrian directed me to the old Isaac Watts hymn How Sweet and Awful is the Place in response to my last post concerning "awesome" and "awful". It is such a beautiful hymn out of the old Trinity Hymnal, and one I had never been exposed to before. So many deep spiritual truths are imbedded in the ancient words, and coupled with an old Irish melody it is truly haunting. How much we miss when we exclude such rich music from our worship!

I was particularly struck by stanzas three and four:

Why was I made to hear thy voice,
And enter while there's room,
When thousands make a wretched choice,
And rather starve than come?

Twas the same love that spread the feast
That sweetly drew us in;
Else we had still refused to taste,
And perished in our sin.

I never cease to be amazed that the God of the universe reached down from heaven and chose me as His own, saving me in all my wretched ugliness. I am unworthy of his love and mercy.

Soli Deo Gloria

No comments: