Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Playing House

Growing up, one of my favorite pastimes was playing house with Hannah and/or with friends. We'd organize our play kitchens, our baby nurseries, create forts, etc., and play shopping. I liked doing this because my dream was to someday "play house" for real. I am LOVING setting up my own (our own) house now :-). It is so much fun, and a fulfillment of many dreams.

It is quite a bit of work, though. Getting into a routine of shopping (and learning the location of stores!), making menus, creating a budget, etc. takes a lot of initial legwork. And then there is the great task of organizing! Adrian moved into the apartment in early June, and I brought up two loads of my stuff during the summer, then we added wedding presents on top of all that, so there were literally humongous piles to sort through and organize. Of course, being the type-A, hyper-organization freak I sometimes can be, this wasn't all that bad of a task, just very involved :-P.

Oh, and meals are great fun to prepare every day. Due to teaching, tutoring, wedding planning, and the distractions of a certain young man *cough*, I haven't regularly cooked meals in quite some time, so I'm really enjoying getting back into the kitchen. I think Adrian appreciates it too ;-). He admits his diet has vastly improved. We've greatly appreciated all the helpful wedding gifts people gave us, and are enjoying using them. We received a pizza stone, and I am completely sold on the idea of baking pizza on a stone, after just one try; vastly better than metal pan-baked!

Oh, a word of advice to all the young ladies who, like me, fill hope chests in their single years. I suggest focusing on specialty and handmade items that are priceless, not just cookware that can be bought at any department store. We were blessed with a lot of basic cookware like mixing bowls, casserole dishes, etc., even some that we didn't register for (but were nicer than we had!), so I'm glad that most of my hope chest items were handmade or more particular items (like a glass bread plate a la Laura Ingalls Wilder, or teacups, or a handpainted bowl, or handmade quilt). Anyway, just a suggestion. We couldn't believe how generous people were!

I feel bad, because as is often the case with weddings, I won't be able to really thank some of the gifters. Even with the precaution of having a few people to tape cards to gifts, we still have some cardless gifts, and one or two with a very generic first name on them. As a suggestion, please write your last name on a wedding card!

It's different being in a completely different area, and adjusting to a new set of stores and a new church. It helps that Adrian has lived here for a while :-). And I just spent most of today at various government agencies changing legal identification, etc. Long story as to why, but I had to go to the DMV three times! But it's done now :-). I'm officially Susan Garrison Keister. Yay!

19 comments:

Kacie said...

Hooray! Sounds like you're doing great. I'm a new homemaker myself, and I've found tons of support within the blogging community--specifically within the Frugal Hacks. Give some of those blogs a look, I think you'll love it.

For example, I participate in "Menu Plan Monday," a blogging carnival where participants list their menus for the week (and sometimes recipes).

deb said...

Yay! Susan! Sounds like you are enjoying all the first weeks of being a new wife. That is great! I agree with the previous commenter that the blogosphere is full of delicious receipes. You could make a brand new dish for Adrian every night! :)

ashley @ twentysixcats said...

I miss you, Susan! :-(

Mrs.B said...

Thank you for the update, I've been thinking about you and wondering how you are. It's been such fun sharing in the wedding details and I am thankful that you're sharing a bit of your day-to-day life as well. (o:

Many Blessings,
~Mrs.B

Anna Naomi said...

I enjoyed hearing about your life! Playing house was always my favorite thing to do when I was little. I can't wait to "play house" with a real house one day. =)

Thanks for the advice about what to save in one's hopechest. I'd basically done that, since you don't really have room for daily dishes stuff, unless you start storing it elsewhere!

Zan said...

Why did you keep Garrison in your married name? *I* got rid of *my* father's name?

Just curious.

-Zan

Susan said...

Kacie, thanks for the Frugal Hacks tips. I'll have to look into that. I do love trying new recipes, and Adrian is not a picky eater, which makes it easy :-).

Awwww, I miss you too, Ashley :-). Hope your move goes smoothly :-).

About half the people I've talked to took their maiden name for their middle, and the remainder retained their original middle name. One reason I used my maiden name is to make forms easer to fill out, in all honesty. Plus, I like holding onto a bit of my "Garrison" identity. *shrugs* Any particular reason for your choice, Zan? Just curious.

Whitney said...

Susan, I took my maiden name as a second middle name and kept my middle name as well. This is especially tricky since my maiden name is two words! But it worked for us, and I (like you) liked to hold on to some of my former identity. It seems a little sad to give it up completely! :) I just got married in July -- but it only gets better! Enjoy everything.

Zan said...

Because that is what good submissive wives are supposed to do. ;-)

I really miss my last name, but I didn't want to do away with my middle name. I don't think Nathan wanted me to keep it, either. I guess it sounded to "Hillary Rodham Clinton," to me. I identified with the more traditional route of just being "Hillary Clinton"(to get more votes). ;-)

BTW, my maiden name is your husband's middle name and I want to use it for a middle name on my next boy. (Hopefully)

-Zan

Sherrin said...

yay! It sounds like your experiences are very similar to what mine have been in the first weeks of married life! Everything is a lot of work at the start, when you're getting it established and learning to work together. I have also had heaps of hassles re: name changes, etc. I was also amazed by people's generosity! It is wonderful fun to begin to use all the lovely gifts, and to remember who gave them!

Susan said...

Perhaps to clarify, I'm just going simply by Susan Keister. I took my maiden name as my middle name, but I'm not hyphenating or anything. Not sure if I made that clear :-).

Kacie said...

I decided to have four names.

I'm Kacie (Original middle name) (Maiden name) (Married name). I only go by Kacie Married name, but if I'm corresponding with someone who doesn't know I married, I'll include the maiden name to help identify myself.

ashley @ twentysixcats said...

I love my middle name more than my maiden name, so I dropped the maiden name when I got married. My mom dropped her maiden name, too, because it is German and very hard to spell.

I kinda wish I had kept all 4 names. But, this is easier I'm sure.

Joanna said...

When I first got married and set up house, I felt the same way- like I was "playing house", cooking and cleaning and decorating. It was all so fun! I'm glad you're enjoying yourself!

And, I kept my middle name rather than my maiden name, but I just go by my first & last name, when I sign things & fill out forms & such.

Tammy C said...

kiSounds like you are enjoying married life.I also moved after getting married,but it was to Iceland!

When I got married I was told most people from the south keep their maiden name and get rid of their middle name.I was glad to get rid of maiden name because Ann is my middle and nobody can mispronounce it.

Have fun cooking new meals.By the way Happy One Month Anniversary!

Father's Grace Ministries said...

Congratulations on your recent wedding! I enjoyed reading of your courtship with Adrian and loved the wedding pics.
We've just celebrated our 7th wedding anniversary and are still using and enjoying many of our wedding and engagement gifts.
Claire

Blue Sky said...

Congrats on getting married! It is such a fun, yet busy time. I've been married a little over a year now and it has been great! My two cents on the name thing: I never really liked my last name, but wanted to hold on to a part of my identity, so I decided to have 4 names - First, Middle, Maiden, New Last Name. Can you believe the combination was one letter two long to fit in the government computer?? I was so sad. I had to choose one or the other, but opted for keeping my middle, just b/c it sounded better! ;)

Becky Miller said...

Glad you're settling in well! The PILES were so overwhelming to me when I first got married. Matthew and I are both pack rats, so combining our junk was difficult. We have gotten rid of so much stuff over the past four years, and still have more to declutter.

Eltinwe said...

Just to jump on the bandwagon, we had a big debate about what name to keep. I was named Anna after my grandmother and two great-grandmothers, but my middle name was different from all of them, so that I would not be named after only one. I didn't want to drop my middle name, because it would have limited my named-after to just my grandmother.

The next debate was whether to keep four names, or to drop my maiden name. My husband has four names though, and on most forms, there is only space for one, so even if the Social Security and a few other official places keep all four, usually you're limited to three. Four is cool, but I ended up just dropping to three.