Friday, November 24, 2006

I Can't Do It Myself

I really appreciated Crystal's recent post I Can't Do It Myself. I'm prone to trying to do things in my own strength, rather than resting in the all-sufficient arms of my Saviour, so I definitely identified with what she shared! Here I am unmarried with a not-quite-full-time job(s), and yet sometimes I just feel like I'm running around like a chicken with its head cut off. I continually add things to my "to-read", "to-blog", and "to-do" list, and determine that, in my own strength, I can accomplish them. And they often don't get accomplished! When I rely on me and not on God, then I've missed the very purpose for which I was called as one of God's children: to proclaim the excellencies of He who has called me out of darkness into the light. And I certainly can't do that in my own strength!

Here are a few excerpts from Crystal's post:

It finally dawned on me: This is the new normal. Time will never be your own again, your house will always looked very lived in, some days you won't get a shower, your best plans might be completely overturned in a matter of minutes by a messy diaper or fussy baby. You are no longer in control and you can't do it on your own. You can either relinquish your self-reliance and start trusting in the Lord, or you can spend the rest of your life lamenting what once was and no longer is.

In my own strength, I'd be pulling my hair out, I'd be completely overwhelmed, and totally stressed, but I've learned that God's strength is so much better. By His grace, I can look beyond these temporal things and know He is in control, He is Sovereign, and He will give me everything I need to endure what He has called me to endure. His strength is made perfect in my weakness. I can't do this, but "I can do all things through Christ." And I'm thankful my stubborn confident self has finally realized this.

Make sure to read her whole post!

6 comments:

Ashley said...

*sigh* I'm struggling with that myself, right now.

The part I liked was "This is the new normal". :-) Where have I heard that before?

Susan said...

I thought you'd maybe notice the "new normal" comment. *grins knowingly* Hehe.

Becky Miller said...

It's so good to learn that we can't do everything ourselves. I think if I were ever truly capable of making it totally on my own, I'd be the most insufferably prideful person around! Accepting help keeps us humble.

Susan said...

I agree, Becky, that it is so good to find we can't do everything! It's comforting and keeps me humble :). I really liked your recent post on all the people that helped you and Matthew recently through Katherine's birth, etc.

Anonymous said...

Good thoughts!! Thank you for sharing!!!

His,
Mrs. U

Susan said...

Thank you for stopping by, Mrs. U! Welcome to my blog :).