Monday, April 03, 2006

I'm not NEARLY that desperate for a guy. . .


Shopping List

- Eggs
- Milk
- Bread
- Mr. Right
- his phone number

- dinner for 2?

My Sister Dear is in an Interpersonal Communications class at UGA, and she's brought home some very interesting articles given out by her professor. Currently they are studying male and female relationships. Need I say more?

Here are excerpts from an amusing article written by Katherine Heine of the Waco Tribune-Herald (article title unknown):

"Nice melons."

"Thanks. I couldn't pass up cantaloupe for 68 cents a pound."

The grocery store pickup. Many don't attempt such a risky endeavor for fear of coming across as a desperate creep, as well as the threat of subsequent rejection under fluorescent lights amid crowds of often nosy shoppers.

I don't know, sounds like a good idea to me. . .

You observe an attractive brunette reaching for a box of Honey Nut Chex, your favorite cereal, and suddenly envision the exchange of sweet nothings between each sugary bite. Or you spy a handsome devil eyeing banana peppers and get lost in conversation about their ability to flavor most any dish. And the next thing you know, you are serving a roast encrusted with the moderately spicy vegetable at your wedding reception.

*sigh* I knew it was my prince as soon as he reached for that perfectly-ripe pepper. . .

Wal-Mart is hoping to capitalize on the potential of the underutilized store dating scene in the United States.

What aren't they hoping to capitalize on? *smirk*

The retail giant established "Singles Shopping" at 91 stores in Germany to test the popularity of the stores role as matchmaker. Each Friday from 6 to 8 p.m., singles tie red ribbons to their shopping carts to indicate to other shoppers that they are in the market for love.

Wow. If only I had thought to use the ribbon technique years ago. . .

Stores set up "flirting points" stacked with romatic merchandise, such as candles, chocolates and wine, to set the mood. Wal-Mart boasts that more than 400 people take part in the weekly rendezvous for some mindless flirting or the possibility of lasting romance.

Only 400 people? It must not have caught on yet. . .

This next paragraph is the best:

First of all, for every attractive being who ventures through the aisles of Wal-Mart, there are about 20 over-weight guys named Bubba dressed in overalls picking up dog chow for their pit bulls and Kix for their 12 kids from three previous marriages. I am all for one-stop shopping, but picking up bread, lunchmeat and a man in one trip seems more than a bit desperate and awfully callous.

Hehe. I can't read that without being tickled. That is great. And true. Especially down here in the South, y'all!

Well, my abdominal muscles have been well-exercised now. That was funny. I am excessively diverted :).

Disclaimer: I am not knocking those who have happened to meet their future spouse in a grocery store or other similar places. I merely find it amusing when people target those sorts of places as pick-up spots. I guess it could be worse. Here in the South people use family reunions. . . ;)

Stay tuned for more from Hannah's Interpersonal Communications file. . .

2 comments:

Adrian C. Keister said...

Quite amusing, indeed. Learning to be content, are we? I note The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment is on your list. I'm about halfway through it, and I loved it. I hope you do, too.

In Christ.

Susan said...

Yes, I am learning to be content :). I may write up a short post on anxiety and pride in the near future.

Jessica recommended The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment to me :), and I'm hoping to begin it shortly. I've heard it's very good. The Puritans have a lot of wisdom, do they not?