Wednesday, April 05, 2006

It's someone's birthday....

Yippee!!! I (Hannah) am hijacking Susan's blog to bring you a post wishing my Sister Dear a very happy birthday! Yep, today, is her birthday. She is 22 years old. Wow. In honor of her birthday, I believe I shall write her a poem or two. Among my many other talents, I am quite poetic.

Susan is 22 years old.
As yet she bears no mold.
Her sister is great.
Her family likes cake.
She doesn't really like the cold.


If you aren't already tearing up, I'm sure you will as you read this....

Susan, fair maiden of the fields
Delighter in all things that are beautiful and sacred
May it be that hearts always float on the wind before you
That feet never stop walking, arms never stop moving
For you, fair maiden, for you
As you eat by day and sleep by night
Always, always thinking, breathing
May you find rest, food, and delight for you soul
In your home
Oh, happy home!
That which is so easily lost
And regained
When the cows return
For their sweet grass


Now let us move on.... The question must be answered, that which I'm sure all of you have been wondering! What is mathematically significant about the number 22? If you think of anything that I do not share below, please do share this delightful bit of knowledge!

There are 22 books in the Bible that have 22 or more chapters! Here are a few samples of chapter 22, verse 22 from some books...

Exodus 22: 22 Do not take advantage of a widow or an orphan.
2 Samuel 22:22 For I have kept the ways of the LORD; I have not done evil by turning from my God.
Proverbs 22:22 Do not exploit the poor because they are poor and do not crush the needy in court
Matthew 22:22 When they heard this, they were amazed. So they left him and went away.


If you add up the letters in Susan's name (Susan Elizabeth Garrison) you get 22 letters!

22 is a Schröder Number.
22 is a
Centered Heptagonal Number.
22 is a
Hexagonal Pyramidal Number.
22 is a
Pentagonal Number.

Twenty-two is the number of writable regular polygons in an Euclidiean circle: 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12, 15, 18, 20, 24, 30, 36, 40, 45 , 60, 72, 90, 120 , 180, 360. These are twenty-two of the twenty-four dividers of 360 , the two first, 1 and 2, not defining polygons.

The Chemical Element Titanium has an atomic number of 22.

The Human head is constituted of 22 bones: 8 for the cranium and 14 for the face.

The twenty-two channels linking the ten "Sephiroth" between them in the "sephirotic Tree" of the Kabbalah. (I know you've always wondered whether it was 22 or 23 channels. Now you know!)

Several old alphabets had twenty-two letters: Chaldean, Sabean, Roman, Copt and Hebraic. The letters of the Hebraic alphabet are divided into three mother letters (Aleph, Mem, Shin), seven double letters (Beth, Guimel, Daleth, Kaph, Phe, Resh, Tau) twelve simple letters (He, Waw, Zain, Heth, Teth, Yod, Lamed, Nun, Samekh, Ayin, Tzade, Qoph).

And this is perhaps my personal favorite:

In the year 22 AD the Red Eyebrows defeated the main Chinese imperial army at Liang.
Go, Red Eyebrows!!!!!!!


(I got a lot of this lovely, fascinating information on the number 22 from http://www.virtuescience.com/22.html)

And last, but not least.... check out this really, really cool bit about today's date! Yes, today certainly is special! http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12152248/from/RS.5/
Is that not so cool?!

Thank you for tuning into explorations into the number twenty-two. For now, I'm Hannah Garrison. Good-bye and good day!

Happy Birthday, Sister Dear! :-)

18 comments:

Ashley said...

Happy birthday!!!! I hope you have an excellent day. :-) And Hannah, you are very poetic... but I wouldn't quit your day job just yet. ;-)

deb said...

Hapy Birthday, Susan! When we read in our newspaper yesterday that this morning was 01-02-03-04-05-06, I commented to the rest of the family, "Hey, that old-fashioned math girl, Susan, in Atlanta, would like that!" ;)

Becky Miller said...

Happy Birthday, Susan.

About Emma - we pretty much came to the same conclusion as you did! The Kate Beckinsale/A&E version is MUCH closer to the book, so it's great in that way. But Jeremy Northan in the Miramax/Gwyneth Paltrow version is SUCH a great Mr. Knightly! Also, the costumes are prettier in that one. It's a toss up. I think one should always watch both. : )

Lydia said...

I don't quite know what to say of your poetic prowess, Hannah. I'm agog, simply agog. Thank you for sharing this rather...interesting talent with the world.

(in a whisper) Susan, I think your sister needs to get out a little more.:)

No, actually I loved all the amazing facts about the number 22 and especially that Susan's name has twenty-two numbers. Hmmm, mine has 14 numbers. What is significant about 14, and 23 while we're at it?

Now, I must wish you a happy birthday in the way I know best.
(singing in glorious four-part harmony) Happy Birrth-dayyy, deeear Susaaan. Happy Birrrthdayyy tooooo yoooooooou!!! I can sing four-part harmony all by myself in virtual reality.

Congratulations!!!

You all have such a fun family. I bet math around the world would be hysterical to play with you.

Jessica said...

Hey!! I just found your blog from a comment you left on someone else's blog!! And I just wanted to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Welcome to being 22!! (I turned 22 in November).

Ben Garrison said...

Happy b'day susan. =)

Adrian C. Keister said...

Great minds think alike, er. I did the same sort of thing with Mom for her whatever'th birthday. ;-) But yours was quite a bit more involved than mine. I only did the math thing.

Happy birthday, Susan! Are you going to follow hobbit tradition and give out presents? Because I'd like...

In Christ.

Ashley said...

Susan, I wrote a little post for you on my blog - including a picture! (Everyone else can check it out too.)

Mrs.B. said...

Happy Birthday Susan! (o:

usacomp2k3 said...

22 always was my favorite number :-D

Susan said...

See what happens when passwords are family knowledge?

Have you ever laughed so hard that absolutely no sound comes out? And then when sound does come out, it's more like squeaking? That was me this morning :). I was literally doubled over in laughter! Hannah's poetry always does that to me.

Thank you, Sister Dear, for the entertainment. I'd say you're a great sister, but you've already done that in verse ;). As always, the humble one. Hmmmm, floating hearts seems to be a recurring theme in your poetry. . .

Thank you, everyone, for the birthday wishes :). They really made my day! The birthday song in 4-part harmony was especially touching! I'm not so sure about Ashley's link to her blog. If only I had a scanner I could retaliate. . .

Stephanie (Chung) said...

happy birthday, susan =)

It took me a while to understand how to add up letters... I think that's because at first glance, it doesn't seem like your name has that many letters!

Courtney, Jer.33:3 said...

I got your link from another blog, saw the most recent post and thought it was really neat because I just turned 22 YESTERDAY ( 4th)!!

Susan said...

How neat, Courtney :). Well, Happy birthday to you too, two days late!

une_fille_d'Ève said...

I'm flattered, Ashley and Lydia, that you think so highly of my poetic abilities! Thank you, thank you, thank you.
=)

Jessica said...

Sorry it's a day late...but HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SUSAN!!

(And you're right...there are a lot of "Jessica"s in the blogosphere...I saw that I'm the second Jessica commenting here...oh well!)

Jessie said...

I'm the third Jessica here... and way late!!

(Did you see that big "missing" ad yet?

MISSING:
Female blogger,
Last seen 23-March-06
Answers to the name "everything domestic"
If found, please notify ...)

But anyway, Happy, Happy Birthday to you, my dear friend!

Susan said...

You crack me up, Jessie! You have been rather absent from your blog. . . ahem! :) Thanks for the "Happy Birthday." :-D