Monday, February 16, 2009

Homemade Scouring Powder

I really abhore Ajax and Comet :-P. All that nasty blue-ish residue they leave is icky. I've read a lot of people on the blogosphere who suggested baking soda as a scouring alternative. I tried it and was completely underwhelmed; it just didn't have much scouring power. Then a few months ago I came across this easy recipe on Tammy's Recipes site, and I love it! It works so well, is easy and cheap to make, and doesn't leave that icky blue-ish residue. All you have to do is mix equal parts salt, baking soda, and borax (found in laundry aisle of many grocery stores) in a lidded container for storage. Then just use it as you would a regular scouring powder!

3 comments:

Richard said...

When you make up mixtures like this, you should see that they are properly labeled as to the contents (as are commercial containers). Borax is probably the most poisonous of the three components. Keep it and other dangerous products where Hans can't get to them...ask Adrian if he remembers Dick Hendry from Hillcrest when he was at GCC.

Eltinwe said...

Per Richard's comment... that mixture is MORE toxic than Ajax and the like. Borax is a fairly strong poison - and the primary ingredient in ant poisons. Please be sure to clean the results off surfaces carefully before allowing Hans near them. Particularly because they do NOT have an odd blue residue to tell you that it's not all the way removed.

Susan said...

This is why I did not say that I'd found a "natural scouring powder" ;-). Because yes, Borax is definitely not a mild substance. It is technically "natural", but such a label could deceive people, which is why I omitted it. But yeah, I use it in the tub, and Hans doesn't typically use that as his play area, so I think we're fine there. And I do indeed clearly label the containers I put it in, and it's kept, with all other cleaners, behind a securely locked cabinet door.