Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Reading List (roughly in order of start/finish)

Recently Read:

The Fisherman's Lady by George MacDonald
The Marquis' Secret by George MacDonald
Surprised By Joy by C.S. Lewis
Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell
The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer
Breastfeeding and Natural Child Spacing by Sheila Kippley
The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis
It's Not Easy Being a Bunny by Marilyn Sadler
The Gifts of the Child Christ by George MacDonald
Wise Blood by Flannery O'Connor
Natural Childbirth: The Bradley Way by Susan McCutcheon
The Missing Three-Quarter by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
What Men Live By by Leo Tolstoy
Various books of the Bible (We most recently finished Job and Romans)


Currently Reading:

Reading Between the Lines by Gene Veith
Shepherding a Child's Heart by Ted Tripp
What to Expect When You're Expecting by Heidi Murkoff
The Plan of Salvation by B.B. Warfield
Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon
The Politically Incorrect Guide to English and American Literature by Elizabeth Kantor
The Vaccine Book by Robert Sears, M.D.
The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding by La Leche League International
Psalms
I Corinthians

6 comments:

Lindsy said...

Oh, nice book list!

What's your favorite MacDonald work? Mine is Phantastes. (The only whole books I've read by him are that, Annals of a Quiet Neighborhood, and Heather and Snow. Aside from that I've just read some sermons, perhaps bits of fiction works, part of Diary of An Old Soul, and all of Lewis' MacDonald anthology.)

Our reading tastes seem fairly similar from the bits I can gather (e.g., MacDonald, Reformed theologians, Lewis), so I'm going to recommend a few fictional works. Till We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis is amazing. The Man Who Was Thursday (G.K. Chesterton) is absolutely delightful. And All Hallow's Eve (Charles Williams) is also great. And _A Tale of Two Cities_ is another worthwhile read.

Susan said...

Hi, Lindsy!

Those are actually the only MacDonald I've read, except for a few of his fairy tales. I have a lot of his books (I was given 28 of them FREE at a garage sale), so I want to slowly work through them all.

A Tale of Two Cities is an amazing work. Right up there with Les Miserables and The Count of Monte Cristo, which I'd highly recommend if you haven't read them. I haven't read the others, but I do like what Lewis and Chesterton I've read. I'll have to check them out sometime. Thanks!

Eltinwe said...

Nice book list. Some my style, some not.

I have found in my enormous experience (i.e. a couple years, heh) that pregnancy boooks, most parenting books and particularly breastfeeding books are largely useless aside from making parents feel like they're prepared and all ready to go... or alternately inadequate and uninformed.

You can read about breastfeeding all you like, but really, it won't help you actually do it. I have found all of TWO parenting books like - and one is the Tripp book you are reading, because its approach is so very different - and I think is probably worth reading every couple years. The other is You Can Childproof Your Home, But They'll Still Get In by Dave Meurer, which was given to us for Christmas this past year and I have already read twice. B

And I've been meaning to recommend to you a Michael Card CD of lullabies that Carina just LOVES and are largely far superior to any others I know of. It's called Sleep Sound in Jesus, and you can listen to snippets on Amazon if you care to do so.

Becky Miller said...

The Bradley Book and the Thinking Woman's Guide are both fantastic books! I recommend them to every pregnant mother. I also really recommend actually taking a Bradley class. The books themselves weren't enough to really prepare me for labor, but the help of a Bradley instructor was priceless. I plan to take a Bradley class again with our next. Katherine was a great labor and birth, and I plan to have an even better one next time.

How did you like the ecological breastfeeding book? It looks great. I added it to my amazon list.

Susan said...

It's so interesting because some people think that they would have been off to a much better start with breastfeeding, and then others (like you) would say it doesn't help. So I figure it can't hurt me to read ahead of time, but realize that head knowledge is not the same as experiential knowledge :-).

My parents have that Michael Card CD, and I love it. Very beautiful music.

Caroline said...

I think it's about time for a pregnancy update.