Sunday, April 08, 2007

A Side-by-Side Comparison

The greatest (because it's so awful!) movie proposal in all of cinema, in my opinion, is Darcy's first proposal to Lizzy, a la A&E. That scene is absolutely delightful. Hehe. Here is the approximate text:

In vain I have struggled; it will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you. In declaring myself thus, I am fully aware that I will be going expressly against the wishes of my family, my friends, and I hardly need add my own better judgment. The relative situation of our families is such that any alliance between us must be regarded as a highly reprehensible connection. Indeed as a rational man I cannot but regard it as such myself, but it cannot be helped. Almost from the earliest moments of our acquaintance, I have come to feel for you a passionate admiration and regard, which despite all my struggles has overcome every rational objection and I beg you, most fervently, to relieve my suffering and consent to be my wife.

I much prefer this version:

In vain I have struggled; it will not do. My feelings can not be expressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you. In declaring myself thus, I am fully aware that I will be going expressly according to the wishes of my family, my friends, and I hardly need add my own better judgment. The relative situation of our familes is such that any alliance between us must be regarded as a highly commendable connection. Indeed as a rational man I cannot but regard it as such myself, but it cannot be helped. Almost from the earliest moments of our meeting, I have come to feel for you a passionate admiration and regard, which despite all my encouragement has only added to all the other rational reasons we should be married; and I beg you, most fervently, to relieve my suffering and consent to be my wife.

What do you think? I rather think the second proposal is a great improvement, and terribly romantic. Especially if delivered on both knees, at sunset, by a duck pond, in a circle of stones under a cluster of trees. Now really, what girl could ask for a sweeter proposal? :-D And of course, really the more important detail is who is doing the asking. To complete the lovely scene, one must assume that the man doing the asking is the woman's man of her dreams. Just imagine in your mind's eye that he's sweet, sensitive, godly, handsome, intelligent, well-read, full of God-given grace, and wonderful in uncountable other ways, perfectly suited for the woman in question. Now that would be a romantic proposal. Why didn't Austen think of that?






28 comments:

Adrian C. Keister said...

Hmmm. Maybe a bit too kind to the one doing the proposing, but that is a nice story.

In Christ.

Rach said...

I'm delurking to say: congratulations! All God's richest blessings to you guys...

Rachael

Esther said...

Awwww....that's precious! I didn't know he proposed with that - how sweet! I must admit I had to re-read the "version" you preferred to catch what I missed! ;-) Speedreading isn't always the best!

Sooooooooo thrilled for you, Susan!! Can't wait to hear of your wedding plans!

Ashley said...

Aww this post makes me happy!!! :-D Congrats!! I am thrilled at how God has brought you and Adrian together, and has shown Himself in your beautiful relationship.

I am so excited about your wedding! :-) I love weddings! You know I'm totally up for anything you need in regards to your own plans. Even if it's driving around looking for flowers. :-) Unfortunately, I threw away the last half-bag of pigs-in-a-blanket. Sorry!!

I'm inviting myself up to visit you sometime SOON so I can hear all the sappy details!! :-D

True Grace said...

First off.....CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =D I am happy for you both!!
Ummm....yeah, what a.....nice way to propose. Glad you liked it. =) Guess that's all that matters! ;)
Grace

Deb said...

Congratulations, Susan!

Nichole said...

It's so funny this happens now; I just saw that scene last night!

Congratulations!

Meg G said...

Well, I can't say I'm surprised. But I CAN say I am thrilled! ... Yay! ... May God continue to bless your relationship. We love you both!!

Love,
Mom

Laura B said...

Congratulations, Susan! Keep posting please! I, for one, would love to hear more details on the courtship!

Laura

Samantha said...

Congratulations to a wonderful couple! It's been so neat to hear all the wonderful ways God has been working in your lives through each other. We serve an awesome God! Bless you both!

zan said...

High time!

;-)

Congratulations, you two.

Tammy C said...

Congratulations!!

How exciting to FINALLY hear the news!!

Anna Naomi said...

How wonderful - and romantic! =) I'm so excited for you two! God's best to both of you as you journey down the path to marriage and beyond!

Mrs.B. said...

YAY!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations to you both! I'm just so happy for you. (o:

Many Blessings!
~Mrs.B

Lydia said...

I think "congratulations" is too mild for me to use. ;)

How about, "Glory be to God on high!"

I liked the comparison between the proposal of Darcy to Lizzy and Adrian's to you. Although I have yet to read P&P, I did read "Sense and Sensibility" these past two weeks. Now, I am on "The Hobbit." Hopefully, some thoughts on the former will be coming shortly.

Blessings and more blessings to you both. Hope to hear more as the time and preparations allow. :)

And I sure am glad that some folks seem to be marrying. You would think that it was a long-forgotten practice with some of the recent discussions and such on blogs. ;)

http://scottbrownonline.com/

http://bookloversjournal.blogspot.com/2007/03/
getting-serious-about-getting-married.html

So glad to see you back in the blogosphere. And Adrian too!

All my best wishes and blessings to you both. :)

~Lydia

Jessica said...

YAY!! Congratulations to both of you! I can't wait to hear your wedding details!

Claire said...

Many Congratulations and blessings! It's been beautiful and encouraging to be a "spectator" of such a grace-filled relationship. Glory be to our wonderful God!

Peace,
Claire

Robert said...

Congratulations on your engagement.The second proposal and location was romantic.

Ben said...

You know, I rolled my eyes when I read the method of proposal, but...good job, Adrian, well done. It was probably the perfect proposal for Susan. :-)

Congratulations to both of you. I'm very happy that it worked out. :-)

Susan said...

Thank you, everyone, for the lovely comments :-). I'm still getting back in the swing of things after being out of town, and my schedule is becoming busier as I'm picking up additional tutoring slots and beginning to plan a wedding. I do hope to be around on blogger, but I may be lurking, and posting quite infrequently!

Becky Miller said...

Oh, hooray! Yes, I agree, I want to hear more courtship details!

I am so happy for you both.

Miriam Rebekah said...

Yay! Congratulations and God's best to both of you!

Sherrin said...

Ahhhhhh.

I sent out an email about my engagement, with lots of details, but in my ineptness I couldn't seem to find your email address on your site. I am sure it is in some obvious site!

I hope to post soon - although the break has made me realise I really could live without blogging! I have very little time these days - planning a wedding and studying full time is a challenge! Thankfully study ends in a few weeks.

Susan said...

Sherrin, you have to click on my profile, and then click on e-mail on the left side. I thought it showed before, but actually I had unclicked the "show e-mail" option somehow. Thank you for pointing that out! I've tried e-mailing you a few times, but your gmail account listed on your blog comes back undeliverable(?). Hmm.

I know exactly what you mean about not missing blogging much. I of course missed the people, but blogging is just not top on my list of priorities right now! I simply don't have mental energy right now or time to write worthwhile blog posts. Aaaah!

Alynn Deatsch said...

Dear Susan,

I have to say, that coming from such an engineer type as Adrian, and of course, being my brother, his proposal was so romantic - surprisingly so, but terrific! Welcome to the family! We are very encouraged and excited and can't wait to meet you! We are praying for God's blessings on your relationship.

Tom, Alynn (Adrian's sister), and children

Susan said...

I can't wait to meet you as well, Alynn (and Tom and co.). I agree that Adrian's proposal was quite romantic for a technical type ;-). Thank you for your continued prayers!

1of14 said...

Congratulations, Susan! (Not that you need any more comments.)

-someone from HSA

Samara said...

Scream!

Congratulations Susan and Adrian!