Friday, January 27, 2006

Calling All Soup Recipes

As I mentioned here, here, and here, I infinitely prefer from-scratch cooking to any of various stages of prepared foods. It's often a challenge to even find good from-scratch recipes, so we're always on the lookout for good ones. My Dear Sister has been after me for several days to post a request for soup recipes. We love soup in the wintertime but much prefer soup that is homemade. So, if you have a favorite from-scratch soup recipe, Hannah and I would be thrilled if you'd share it with us :).

Here are directions for one of our favorite soups. It's great for using up leftover mashed potatoes. Use mashed potatoes made with potato peels to give the soup an extra dimension and to add nutrition. It's kind of a little-of-this, little-of-that recipe, but aren't those always the best kind?

Potato Soup

Chop up a little bit of celery and onion and place in a saucepan with about 1/3 cup water. Cook 5-10 minutes until tender. Add leftover mashed potatoes and milk to desired consistency. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve with cheddar cheese sprinkled on top.

5 comments:

une_fille_d'Ève said...

hmmm... well, my request was not necessarily for 'made from scratch soups', although that would be prefered. If you have some good ones that aren't completely made from scratch, I would like to hear those too even if Susan wouldn't! ;-)

Ashley said...

My favorite soup is made like this:
Open the can of soup. Pour in pan. Heat on stove. Stir. :-)

Actually, tomorrow I'll bring my Wycliffe cookbook. Everything is from scratch there. :-) I hope you'll be able to find some receipes!

Susan said...

Now you're reminding me of Ben's comment to my first post on cooking from scratch:

I LOVE cooking from scratch. One of my favorite frozen dinners has a top that you have to scratch off before you microwave it. It's deliciously easy to make.

:)

Jessie said...

Well Susan, if no one else will give you any made-from-scratch recipes, I will! : )
One of my favorites is
Broccoli-Potato Soup
(which of course I can't have right now because of the potatoes. oh well. I made this one up on the fly a year ago and it's been a favorite since!)

3 cups chicken broth (homemade!!)
1 cup water
4 cups cubed potatoes (skins on, chopped smallishly : ) )
2 cups chopped carrots
1/2 cup diced onion
2 Tbs butter
1 1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder (or 1 clove minced)
1/2 tsp dried parsley
3 cups chopped broccoli
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
3 oz grated cheddar
bacon bits (opt.)

Yields 6 to 8 medium or 4 to 6 large servings

Combine broth and water in stock pot. Add potatoes, carrots, onion, butter, salt, garlic, and parsley. Bring to a boil on high heat and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in broccoli and boil another 5 minutes, or until all vegetables are tender. Turn off heat, and a allow soup to cool so it's no longer boiling. Stir in sour cream, milk, and cheese.
You may wish to sprinkle more cheese and some bacon bits on each serving for garnish.

Susan said...

Thank you so much for sharing, Jessica. Your recipe looks delicious :). Hannah and I are planning to try it out on Tuesday!