Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Giving Thanks

I love Thanksgiving, one of the few holidays that has not been largely secularized and commercialized in America. Thanksgiving was instituted by the Pilgrims in thanks to God for bringing them through the first winter in the New World. Thanksgiving is still a time to spend with family and friends, fellowshipping together through the breaking of bread and the giving of thanks to the good Lord above for his provision over the years.

My family has spent the last several Thanksgivings with our long-time family friends from Chattanooga, the Zeglens. Our closest relatives are about 500 miles away, so we are thankful to be able to share this holiday with the Zeglens. We will be enjoying a traditional Thanksgiving meal with them, and plenty of fun throughout the day. They have 7 kids, and my sister and I always love spending time with the 5 youngest, ages 13 and under. I am sure several rounds of cards and a game of prince and princess hide-and-seek are on the agenda for tomorrow.

During this season of thankfulness, I am thankful for. . .

Forgiveness
Mercy
Liberty
Family
Home
Friends
Daily Bread
Health
Safety
Fellowship
Faith
Hope
Love

May I be thankful for this and much more, not merely on Thanksgiving, but all through the year.

No comments: